What Keeps Me Going

Brendan - Davenport, Iowa

I spend a lot of time deep in thought, contemplating life’s big question. Like all people, I am on a never-ending search for what I believe in. Although this journey has taught me a lot about myself and my position in the world, one of the most crucial beliefs I have come to hold dear is my belief in you. Whoever, whatever, wherever, however you are, you keep me going each day. Whether you are young or old, black or white, male or female, near or far, a mass murderer or model citizen, or anywhere in between, I believe you possess the innate power to rise above any and all adversity and begin the daunting, yet ever-possible, task of healing the ailments of others. Within you is the story of and eternal bond to mankind.

The way I see it, life is like an ever-expanding puzzle, with each person an integral part of the whole. I constantly remind myself that everyone has their flaws, their rough edges, and it is these imperfections that allow for the whole to continue moving forward. Within you lives the power to find that which has been lost, combat injustice, and bring joy to those who encounter you. I have seen what you can do throughout my life. I have seen it in so many different ways through so many people that to attempt to name them would not do justice to the others. I have seen people like you come together and find strength after a natural disaster, people like you going out of their way to brighten others’ days, and so much more. Whoever you are, your life means just as much as that of a king, and you possess gifts of a significance that could not be known.

Whether or not you personally believe it, your gifts and way of doing things have their place. I know this because, sometimes what is needed is not a long, prepared speech from a strong, seasoned voice but a few bold, courageous words from a trembling one. Sometimes, we do not need to be smothered in hugs; all we need is for someone to extend his or her hand. You, as one, are a powerful force, but you, when united with others of varying beliefs and fiery passion, really do have the capacity to move mountains. This is why people deserve the benefit of the doubt. No matter who it is or what they have done, we have to trust each other. In every person, from the stranger fighting addiction to the loved one who no longer believes, there is hope. In your potential, in your path, in you I put my faith. In you, I believe.