My Fathers Addiction

Tinia - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: addiction

Theodore T. Hunger said “Keep steadily before you the fact that all true success depends at last upon yourself”. I have faced things unlike any problems that my closest friends have ever heard or dealt with. Yet, if I could pick out one obstacle that I overcame in my life, it would be dealing with a parent under the influence of alcohol. Because of that experience I believe that I am the ultimate controller of my future.

Around six months ago my father began using alcohol after five years of being sober. I knew my father had started using alcohol again way before he revealed it to me during a summer weekend in 2007. I believed that he would immediately seek help after acknowledging his problem, but he didn’t. His confession seemed to make him feel that he no longer had to hide his addiction, and he began to constantly drink alcohol in front of me. My father would come home after working swing shifts at the water plant and drink himself into a state of oblivion!

Alcoholism tends to make people become nonchalant about things that would normally be important to them, and the effects of my fathers carelessness, began to show up slowly but surely. It started with our cellular phones being cut off and bill collectors calling the house phone. Then as time progressed we had to sell three of our four vehicles and we lost our home. All I wanted was for things to be like they were in the past, but the more I hoped, the more it seemed that the past would never return. Then one day out of the blue, I realized that there are times in life when you cannot resolve other people’s problems.

Even though my father is an alcoholic, I still love him unconditionally, but this time it’s from a distance. After making it through that situation I know that I can survive anything and l learned that my life could only be a success if I work hard enough to make it into one. Seeing the choices my father made while intoxicated was a breaking point in my life, because it showed me everything that I never want to be.

There are things that occur in life that we cannot change or stop from happening. Even if my father never lives to see me get married, or graduate from college, his legacy will survive through me and my children. I know how powerful a drug addiction is, and because of that I have chosen to keep substances out of my life. Wherever my father failed in life, I plan to succeed and no matter what I will never allow anything to stop me. I control my future, it does not control me and in this I believe.