The importance of friendship

Janelle - Lewiston, New York

I believe that friendship is the greatest gift you will ever receive.

A true friend is not only one of the hardest things to find, but the hardest to keep. I’ve learned that as you grow older, people change. Your friends from middle school may now be total opposites of you. Maybe you consider yourself superior to them, or they’re the bully who brings you down everyday.

My grandmother once told me when I was younger that if I came out of high school with one life-long friend, I should consider myself the luckiest girl on earth. At the time I thought she was crazy. She said this when I was in middle school and had tons of friends; everyone in our grade liked each other and was included in every activity. But after my freshman year in high school I realized what my grandmother was talking about.

High school is the time when people experiment new things, and find out what they enjoy and are good at. Through these experiences people develop new groups of friends. Some get into parties and having a good time, others may get serious about their studies, and many just can’t find their place. Without a friend to talk to, dealing with growing up could get very difficult.

I have been lucky enough to be blessed with great friends that are always by my side. Without them, growing up in a small town where everyone knows everything would not be so easy. Rumors spread like wild fires at my school, and everyone has had something nasty said about them. My friends knew the difference between truth and fiction, and have always been there for me when it’s happened. People should never throw away friendships. You never know when you might need that shoulder to cry on.

I feel I have found my life-long friend from high school. My friend Marissa and I have been through a lot together. We have been friends for as long as I can remember. I learned the hard way the effects of ditching a friend for new ones. The summer after my freshman year I began hanging out with new people. I ignored Marissa and lost her as a friend. Slowly I began to lose my new “friends” and was left with no one. Luckily, Marissa accepted my apology and we have never been closer. We tell each other everything, and our friendship is a very important part of my life.

Without friends you are alone by yourself. Your friends shape and reflect who you are as a person. Friendship is something that should never be taken for granted.