100%

Katie - Ventura, California

I believe in trying your best at everything you do. Whatever it may be, just do your best at it. It took me about fifteen or sixteen years to learn that slacking off and making excuses for yourself doesn’t get you anywhere. For a while I thought there was something wrong with me because I couldn’t understand math at all. But, in reality, I was too lazy to just pick up the book and read it. I would claim that it was impossible for me to ever understand it. At times, I have to get extra help, and instead of eating lunch, I just get tutored or retake math tests. I still don’t have a great grade in the class, but it has improved by 20% in the past month or so. When you try your best, I believe even if you fail, you won’t have any regrets because you know you did all you could possibly do.

My dad is a great example to me. He used to run twenty miles regularly just to prove it to himself that he could do it. What I think is great about that, is he never even brought it up until last night at the dinner table. My dad tries his best at everything, which is shown in how he supports my whole family on a very small income, and he just believes he’ll get paid enough every week. He puts a lot of time and effort into his job, but has no guarantee he will make any more money. Yet all he does is work very hard and trust, and with a family of five we have never had any financial problems that I know of. My sister is going into her third year at a private college, we have both had braces, and my brother goes to a private middle school. We don’t have health insurance, but everything always works out so my parents aren’t worried. My dad is an incredible example to me to give 100% with everything you do, and to believe in every situation. I sincerely believe that almost anything is impossible depending on how bad a person wants it, and how much they try. As Ann Landers once said, “Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.” This, I believe.