I believe in not giving up.

Dorothy - Ventura, California
Themes: courage, setbacks

I believe in not giving up. Many times in life you go through struggles and things get tough, but many times people don’t see that situations can get better, and they give up. Well, I believe in taking on a struggle, and just hoping for the best.

There have been many times when I could have given up on happiness in life and not improve on things. Life for me got tough when I was nine years old and my dad realized that he wasn’t fit to take care of me anymore. It wasn’t that I was a bad child or anything; I just needed a motherly figure guiding me. My aunt in Texas decided that she would take me in. Right then, I could have given up, I had to leave my daddy, my brother, and all of my friends at school! I was devastated! But instead of moving to my aunts and acting up and being sad, I was happy. I got to go meet a new family, new friends, and a whole new life. Don’t get me wrong, I had my days but I worked through it and I never gave up.

This wasn’t the only time then things were really hard, the worst thing that I ever had to get over was being raped when I was ten by my step dad. He ruined any guys’ chance at getting to know me for the next five years. I thought that I could never trust a guy again and I was so terrified of having a boyfriend. My first boyfriend, who was also my best guy friend, showed me that not all guys were horrible, and taught me to trust men. Once again, I didn’t give up.

Now, I could go on and on about reasons for giving up, or you can think about all of your reasons, and overcome them, because I believe that no matter what you’re going through, you have it in you not to give up.