I believe in the power in the power of a good friend.

Jawad - ventura, California

I believe in the power of a good friend.

I believe a friend can change your life, in this case, save your life. About two years ago my very good friend got into a huge fight with his girlfriend of that time. Now this kid is not just my friend. I grew up with this kid, we played action figures together, cops and robbers, all the things you do as a young kid. I have never considered him just my friend, were more like brothers. Even though he is younger than me by a few months I still looked up to him. One of those friends you know you will always stay close with.

I was over at his house one afternoon and I could hear him arguing with his girlfriend over the phone. He sounded extremely upset and pissed off. I could hear him crying. I walked up the stairs to his room where he was to give him some comfort. When I walked into the room I saw him sitting on the ground leaning against his bed and holding about a 10 inch knife in his hand ready to slit his throat and take his own life. There I was expecting to see my bro laying down crying or something, but instead I was in shock to see him about to kill himself. Out of reaction I snatched the knife from his grip and threw it across the room. I grabbed him and held him close. We cried together in silence. He was crying because his girlfriend obviously did something to make him upset, and I was crying because my best friend almost just took his life, right in front of me.

We sat for a long time talking about what happened with him and his girl. After about an hour, after it all sunk in he looked at me but didn’t say anything at first. I looked at him kind of awkwardly. With glossy eyes and a shaky voice he muttered, “you saved my life Joe, you saved my life, I would have been dead on this floor if you weren’t here man.” I just looked at him with a big smile and said, “that’s what a friend is for”.