Writing in My Book of Life

Thomas - Pemberville, Ohio

I have many astonishing dreams. I have dreams that take me to the outer reaches of space, and bring me into the center of the Earth. They are dreams where there are no worries, no pain, and no limitations. Such dreams are inspired by imagination.

Imagination, what is imagination? What a mysterious notion, it can never be explained, yet it is there. It resides in the mind, the heart, the soul. It is contained there, but it is ever omnipresent, always around us.

Ever since Kindergarten, I decided to express my imagination through literature. I was delighted at the concept, but the views of others had their effect on me as well. Comments like, “You should better rethink being a writer when you grow up, they can never make it in life.” made me look at a different viewpoint.

Through the trying days of middle school and with a cold splash of reality, all I thought I had left was myself. With death, famine, war, and disease surrounding me, I began to think I had to be what the world needed me to be. Through it all, I held fast onto what I believed, as they made me who I am today.

A man by the name of Mahatma Gandhi once said, “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your values. Your values become your destiny.” Taking Gandhi’s quote into perspective, I now know that my belief will become my destiny if I truly persevere.

Christianity enlightened my life with importance, and why my actions were God’s and mine to choose. It is not the world I live in that determines my life. It is my life that determines the world I live in. I believe that I hold the pen to my future, and although I may have little ink, it all takes imagination and a little faith to decide if I make my story as distinguished as I want in my Book of Life.