Devalued mothers deserve our respect

Reed - DeLand, Florida

The great playwright George Bernard Shaw observed: “Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.” I recently attended an excellent kindergarten program at the Lee County Primary School in Leesburg, Georgia. I was impressed by the number of mothers who attended to see their child perform. Considerfor a moment the impact of mothers on education. How are children best trained to be responsible, mature, contributing adults? There is no question that a mother molds the child- whocomforts a sick child, who wipes away the tears, who gives so very much, but asks so very little.

A mother is a child’s first teacher. According to Sidney lesson, author of RAISINGA BRIGHTER CHILD observed: “Whenever the question of educating children is raised, thoughts usually turn to school and to schoolteachers. But mothers are, and have always been, their children’s first and most important teacher. What mothers teach, or fail to teach, intentionally or unintentionally, profoundly influences their children’s entire lives. Home is, in a practical sense, currently and traditionally, a child’s first school. Here, a child’s learning pattern is established; here the seed is planted, or not, for advanced education. And here each child acquires an assortment of strengths and advantages, or handicaps and vulnerabilities, that predispose him to success or failure, to happiness or unhappiness.” Hans Selye, a well known doctor who devoted a lifetime to research on stress and coping was asked “can you isolate any single factor that determines what a person becomes?’ Without hesitation he replied, ‘His mother.’

Mothers deserve our support. Mothers deserve the highest consideration from society. David O McKay, prophet and leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints observed: “The noblest calling in the world is

that of mother. True motherhood is the most beautiful of all arts, the

greatest of all professions. She who can paint a masterpiece or who can write a book that will influence millions deserves the plaudits and admiration of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters whose immortal souls will be exerting an influence throughout the ages long after painting shall have faded, and books and statues shall have been destroyed, deserves the highest honor that man can give.”

In an age when mothers are devalued they deserve even more of our praise, support and thanks. Mothers should be remembered and honored not only on Mother’s Day but every day of the year.