The Bliss of Running

Dylan - West Liberty, Iowa

I believe in running. I have been running since I was young, maybe around 2nd grade. It was something that always felt right. I like it even more now, because I can’t do it. At least not until next month, hopefully. I guess it is odd to believe in a physical activity, because it isn’t an idea, or an emotional thing that sweeps you off your feet. But it’s something that feels right when I partake in it.

This January I was told that I had 2 fractures in my lowest vertebrae. In August it was just that my back hurt, then it was a “muscle cramp”, and then it was “tendonitis” in wrestling season. I have to say I am a bit bitter about missing my whole sophomore year of sports because the therapists didn’t think to send me to get an X-Ray. But you can’t hold a grudge, and maybe it’s better to miss something you like so much, because it will make running that much better when I am able to do it again. The feeling one has after a long run is something you have to do to feel, it is a combination of accomplishment, being really tired, and knowing your day has been that much better for doing something productive. And during a run for practice, it makes me think I have worked a little harder than the kid I’ll be racing next time.

This weekend I traveled to many grad parties, and some I waited too long to get a ride and had to walk all the way across town. When I was doing this, I realized a year ago I was running right where I was walking. And that was another reminder of why I like running so much, because running at night when no one is around is the best. I can hear no one but myself and I occasionally wave to people I know, but after a while you start to go faster and you don’t really feel a whole lot. If you look this up on the internet, it’ll say that the good feeling comes from endorphins. But when you’re running, and it seems like your flying, you could care less what is helping you out, ‘cause you’re going FAST! And that feeling is priceless, just like on the master card commercials. This, I believe.