Finding my place

Michael - Fair Haven, New Jersey

I could never imagine myself doing this, never in my whole life. Who was I kidding? This clearly isn’t my lifestyle, it wasn’t me. This is almost ridiculous, almost. Who would’ve thought that a kid like me would ever do this? Not even I thought I could do it. Until I did do it and realized I had a talent.

Singing clearly wasn’t something I did often when I was younger. I didn’t realize that I had a talent and I honestly thought that everyone could sing. It wasn’t until the sixth grade that I finally accepted the fact that I really was a musician. At that first talent show I was made fun of . Even as I sang I could hear them, I could see them pointing too. I didn’t get it and I probably never will. Was it just easy to single out the little petrified kid that was staring out in the crowd? Was it jealousy or was it something else? All I wanted was to put on a good show for all of them, I clearly hadn’t done what they wanted. That’s when I realized music wasn’t easy to commit to.

Ever since that day I have been performing with my band mates and trying to get noticed, trying to show people that I want nothing more than to do this for the rest of my life. I want to show people inspiration and joy of rock and roll even if it means fighting through the worst of situations. Even of it makes me want to quit, and even if people tell me my musical content is horrendous, I will pick myself up and play. Even if the band looks as if it is hanging by a string and that string could snap any second I will never, ever give up because I believe in my commitment to rock and roll.