My Name Is Justin Brown

Justin - Fair Haven, New Jersey

I worry about not living up to the expectations set for me by my brother. 14 years ago I was born, 3 years before that my brother was, 2 years before that my sister was born. Ironically my brother was the lightest baby. I’m a hundred percent positive that when my brother was born neither my dad nor mom thought that 17 years later they would have a 280 pound giant as there son, but they do. One that will never leave the dinner table until there is no food left. We’ve come to the conclusion that my brothers bigness came from the men on my mom’s side of the family having big uncles and grandfathers. The brains simply came from my dad whose really smart and can easily help with homework.

I love my brother. I’m glad that he gets good grades, and I’m glad that college football coaches call him everyday, but if you think I’ll ever be able to bench 365 pounds or get straight A’s every report card like my brother you’re probably wrong. Now I need to make an announcement: I would like to inform all my brothers friends, coaches, teachers: my name is Justin Brown, not Taylor Brown’s little brother, the four words I hear too often.

For high school I already know I’m taking two honors classes and that I’m going out for the football and baseball team. Will I be the MVP player on my team that gets straight A’s? obviously not, but I know after school I’ll be hitting the gym and after I’ll be hitting the books, and this will become an every day routine, I’m prepared for that. I’ll practice and study as much as I can but that’s all I can promise you.

So again, to all my brother’s teachers and coaches: there is no Taylor Brown Jr. coming to high school next year, but there is a Justin Brown, and that’s all I can be.

I believe that I will do the best that I can. I believe some things come easier for some people than others. I believe hard work pays off. I believe you have to have internal motivation and not just do it because others want you to do it. But I still worry about living up to the expectations of my brother.