Knowing

Alexandra - Fair Haven, New Jersey

I believe that some mysteries shouldn’t be solved.

We look up at the sky and say oh that’s pretty. We stare at the marvel, then someone tells you it’s just a refraction of light. The joy is gone. The stories from long ago to explain how the world works, they aren’t true, but it’s fun to listen to the stories. Sometimes the truth isn’t what we want to hear. We want to hear the made up theories that share how creative these people were.

If we find out everything unknown in the world, then what’s left to wonder about? When we wonder we start to make up stories or elaborate theories to explain it. Then someone looks at a rainbow and thinks it special. You tell them it’s nothing really, just science taking form. They don’t look at the rainbow and say wow that’s cool. They turn their backs to you because they want it to be magical.

Mysteries such as are there aliens? or when will the end of the world come? ; what if we found these things out? What if the aliens weren’t friendly, or the end of the world is sooner than we thought? We panic about what we know now, more than what we didn’t know before.

We want to believe in magic. We don’t want an explanation about why the world is round, or why the sun sets. But some people like to know. They like the power of knowledge and always want to know more. They won’t let what is, be. Then they tell other people who want the magic to be real. The happiness gone.

When someone makes a food dish you love you ask what’s in it. Sometimes, you wish you hadn’t; then, you never eat that dish again. It’s best not to know what you’re eating, even if you want to know.

My dad is a physicist. He likes to know everything. He also likes to brag about what he knows. I don’t want to learn about why these things are the way they are. The mysteries are everywhere we look. We can’t figure them out, if they’re not meant to be known.