Cameron - Traverse City, Michigan

Misbehavior. Acting up. At a young age, one is taught to follow his or her parental figures no matter the situation or circumstance. This is essential to early development but as a child ages it is necessary to let the child make mistakes and experience the real world. Taking risks is an essential part of growing up, and strained relationships with parental figures are not wholly detrimental.

Throughout my life, mistakes have come and gone. From early on I proverbially ‘pushed the envelope’. This behavior encourages risk taking, but at a young age it is beneficial to take risks. Behavior that can result in consequences has the capability to promote maturity in youth, along with causing parental tension. This tension, although negative, can instill independence in the youth. In my case, my choices often affected my life at home and made it more difficult to be there. This enabled me to seek out closer friends to replace my broken relationship with my parents. A broken relationship with one’s parents can have a positive outcome.

Throughout one’s life, opportunities to step off the beaten path and take a risk present themselves every day. At a developing age these risks often necessitate cajoling parental figures. The tension in the relationship from earlier mishaps can create a harsh atmosphere perfect for developing an independent, articulate and convincing youth. Being nearly unsupported by one’s parents, one must think about career opportunities, support themselves, and set goals for success. The prospect of being monetarily cut off from one’s parents is motivating to say the least.

In my experience, my desire to be independent has indeed strained my relationship with my parents. I have become extremely independent, strong willed and have my own morals. I believe in taking risks. I believe that one needs to realize that one’s parents are simply two adults who either had an accident or procreated. Parents are not God, nor are they evil. They are simply two people trying to mold you into what they think is best. One must realize that no one can ever know what is best for their children, or for anyone else. One can only know what is best for them, and we are all alone in that aspect.

I believe in providing an atmosphere beneficial to independence and growth. My children will not be held back in the interest of “Because I said so.” Logic and reason are the backbone of intelligible debate, the basis for most business. My children will be allowed to cajole myself and attempt to logically convince me what they should be allowed to do. I believe in an understanding atmosphere. I believe in taking risks.