Patience

Matthew - Traverse City, Michigan

I believe that time needs to slow down. People these days worry too much about where they need to be and at what time. They tend to lose focus on the task at hand and try to get it over with as fast as possible. I myself struggle with my own patience. I stand in the final few weeks before graduation when I should be enjoying it while it lasts. Instead I am closing my eyes and hoping that it will be over before I know it. As exciting as the summer and college sound, I should be relaxing and enjoying the final days I have in high school.

Not many people know the true meaning in being patient, including me. When tourist season comes around I could not be driven more insane. I can’t drive more than 20 yards without slowing down for traffic. My patience in truly tested during week of the Traverse City, Michigan Cherry Festival. My job just so happens to be located at the heart of all of the chaos. All of the activities that take place are two blocks in front of my workplace, so driving through the mob of people can be difficult at times. A 15 minute drive to work turns into a 30 minute drive from my home. I know being a local, I have every right to be frustrated with the no blinker, slam on the brakes, cut me off tourists, but sometimes I ask myself why I can’t just slow down. Why worry about being stuck in traffic, it’s summer. As long as I leave early enough why should I care if it takes a few more minutes. Sadly when I find myself asking this question I realize that I have become just as impatient as everyone else.

Why does everyone walk or drive as if they are 20 minutes late to a very important meeting? Is it because they actually are late or because they are impatient and just want to go fast? Whenever I see a video of a big city such as Chicago or New York, the streets are crowded with people hustling and bustling to their destinations. If the people were wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt you would think that they were exercising, but since they are wearing suits you know that they are simply in a hurry. People really need to just take one step at a time and relax. This is a very difficult thing for me especially to do, but I figure if I can pull it off I will be much more successful in my life. I believe in patience.