Mike - Traverse City, Michigan

Having beliefs is what makes us different. From the first memory I have, I remember having a belief. I thought to myself that I could make it down the stairs walking forward. This belief may have been wrong but no one held me back from it. The belief I had, I fully believed in because I had come up with it on my own. If someone told me I could walk down the stairs I may not have tried, but because I came up with it on my own I did try. I learned from my belief because I was able to put my belief to the test. It is important to believe in something, and it is important for that belief to come from you and you alone.

I had the privilege of attending a Catholic School. At this school, beliefs were forced upon me and I had the “choice” of accepting them. For me the choice was yes, whatever will get me an A. Because this was the case, I never felt a real connection with what I was taught. As I grew older I began thinking more and more about the things we were taught. I began to think that if these beliefs were more personal to me, if I was not taught them, but rather “found them” they would be stronger. So I began to think. I came up with my own beliefs that may not be what the Catholic Church teaches or the catholic school for that matter, but they are my beliefs and I find them to be stronger than any belief I was taught at school.

Throughout life it is important to listen to people and share your beliefs; to have an open mind and really listen to what the people are saying; accept what they are saying and hold nothing against them for what they believe. It is important not to just disagree with a person because your beliefs are different. One must be accepting and try to find the deeper meaning that their idea represents. Whether it is a belief about a sport or about a religion, always take time and listen to what others believe before you accuse them of being wrong.

Anyone can believe in anything. People believe in false gods, people believe in no God, people believe in superstitions, people believe in the supernatural and none of these things make these people bad people. All people are entitled to their own opinion and belief and all people should exercise the use of this. If people were not afraid of saying something socially unacceptable then perhaps we could find truth. More beliefs about different topics would be shared and perhaps people would become more connected to one another. If more people would be connected than more peace would be found.

Beliefs are beliefs; they do not have to be right or wrong. Beliefs are like theories, they are right until proven wrong. Fortunately, beliefs are often very difficult to test. A belief that is right for one person will not be for the next. What matters is that there is belief. A life without belief would be a life without thought.