This I Believe:

Audrey - Middleville, Michigan
Themes: equality

It is that one look, that one simple expression a person makes that changes the way people think of them. As humans, we all have many different qualities that make us unique from one another. Unfortunately, the one trait most people share is the trait of being judgmental. Sadly enough as time moves on that trait has continued to show its ugly face.

So why is it that a girl loses her friends because she can only afford Wal-Mart brand clothes rather than Abercrombie? Why is it that a boy can’t even ride the school bus home without being pushed around and bullied just because he still plays Game-Boy? People are so quick to label someone before they actually get the chance to know them. As humans, we all need to learn how to see the beauty within each individual if we want to make our world a better place.

The quality of acceptance and respect has long been forgotten in our world. I often wonder what ever happened to the meaning of “It’s what’s in the inside that counts.” As a child Albert Einstein was also teased and bullied because he was considered a “nerd.” Now a-days we refer back to him as one of the greatest and most respected scientists of all time. So think of it this way, your school nerd could turn out to be the Bill Gates, your class musician could be the next Beethoven, and even your point guard on your local basketball team could be the next Michael Jordan.

The point I am trying to make is that anyone is capable of doing great things, if given the chance. People will form first impressions against someone before they actually get to know them. As humans, we need to learn to accept. Accept that just because someone may look, dress, or act different than you it doesn’t mean they are anything less. In fact, I have even met some beautiful people that are ugly on the inside. They spend most of their time judging people to make them selves feel better and that is wrong. If only everyone could learn how to accept our world could be a better place. This I believe.