Justin - Traverse City, Michigan

I believe that having a dream is one of the keys to success in life. If you have one main goal or dream that you are searching for then you will do everything in your power to try to obtain it, gaining many important attributes on the way. A dream gives you a work ethic. It forces you to do things that you may not want to do but are good for you in the long run, and also will teach you the power of perseverance. A dream can be a shining symbol of what you wish to accomplish and the steps and sacrifices that must be taken on the way to that goal.

One of my personal dreams is to play baseball in college. This dream has taught me to train very hard and to never stop. I have received many offers to play baseball at smaller universities and colleges but I refuse to take anything less than playing in the Big Ten conference for the Michigan State University Spartans. Ever since I first visited Michigan State as a small child, I knew that it was the right university for me. Now I will do everything in my power to be able to play baseball as a Spartan. This fact alone has given me powers with which I can be successful. The path to obtaining my dream has taught me many valuable skills. The two best attributes that the quest for my goal has given me are a very strong work ethic and perseverance. In my opinion, the two qualities are necessities for success in the future.

I have built bonds with people that I will have for the rest of my life including teammates, coaches, trainers, and opponents. The social aspect of life that comes from working towards a goal is also beneficial. Personally, I can sometimes be a very shy person but through interviews and spending times with lots of outgoing athletes, I have learned the ability to be outgoing and talk in public.

The story of my dream explains in short all of the benefits that having a dream has to offer. Dreams can be anything; they can range from wanting to be a millionaire to wanting a great ice cream cone. Whatever it is, it is important to find that one dream and to unyieldingly chase after it. Once a dream is set into action, then your life immediately changes. It is now working towards that dream and is building momentum on the way. The only things that can come out of this “pursuit of happiness” are positives. Find your dream; I know that I have found mine.