Emma - Olympia, Washington

I believe that God allows things to happen for a reason. Sometimes, the reason for which things happen is obvious. Other times, it is revealed to us years later, and sometimes we may never figure it out. No matter what, God has a perfect plan for us, and gives us challenges for a reason.

My favorite Bible story is about Joseph and his coat of many colors. In the story, Joseph was his father’s favorite son, so he gave Joseph a beautiful coat of many colors. This made Joseph’s twelve brothers very jealous–so jealous that they sold him into slavery. After that, things just went downhill for Joseph. He was accused wrongly, then thrown in jail. Even through all of this, God was with him. God gave Joseph the power to interpret dreams, and he interpreted the king’s dream that there would be a seven-year famine. The king placed him second in command over Egypt and put him in charge of storing up food for the famine. In the end, Joseph made peace with his brothers and saved the whole country from the famine.

Joseph would never have been put in such a high position, or saved all those people from hunger, if he had not gone through the hardship first. This kind of event did not just happen in Bible times, though. Incidents like this still go on today.

Years ago, when my family was looking to buy a new house, we found a house that we thought was perfect. However, we couldn’t buy it until our house sold, so we prayed and prayed for a buyer. Our house did not sell in time, and someone else got the house that we wanted. We could not understand why God did not send someone to buy our house; it seemed like a simple request. We were all disappointed, until we found the house we live in now. It is so much better than the other house that we thought was perfect. Now we realize that the house that we thought would be right for us really wasn’t right at all. We know God is watching out for us, even in matters such as buying a house.

This event is not quite as exciting as Joseph’s, but it shows that we do not always know what is best. Even when we think something is a problem, it may turn out to benefit us after all.

Sometimes, terrible things happen, and we cannot explain why. We wonder why God would allow a mother or father to die and leave their family. We cannot understand why He allows natural disasters tear down homes. We don’t know why children are abused, and people are murdered or killed by disease. We cannot imagine how these things could possibly fit into God’s plan or be of any benefit. I do not understand them either, but I believe that God does have a reason. We may never find out the reason something happens to us, but it is not for us to know. God has His plan and we have to trust Him. He knows what’s best for us. I truly believe the Bible verse from Romans 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.