Love Your Name

Fallon - McHenry, Illinois

I was born into this ginormous world not knowing how to talk, walk, or even think. And when it came to my parents choosing a name for me, I had absolutely no say in their decision. Yes, I know this sounds completely unfair because I am the one who has to live with this name and be referred to it for the rest of my life, and my parents don’t have to. Luckily for me, they ended up choosing the name, Fallon.

I have always had to deal with people not knowing how to say my name, thinking it was a last name, and wondering if it was a boy’s or a girl’s name. But I would have to say that the most annoying thing there is that goes along with having a different name is trying to teach people how to pronounce it. Every first day of school was always the same when the teacher took attendance. “Failin, is that how you say it?” My response was always no, no matter how many ways they tried to pronounce it. I always said to myself, “It’s not that hard of a name,” and then tried to tell them it was pronounced like the actor Jimmy Fallon. This was only successful sometimes. Then there were the days I had subs at school, oh ya, they were always a treat. No matter what, they always said my name wrong and after a while I would just tell them they got my name right because they were already on the 15th try and it got pretty annoying.

I know it sounds like I don’t appreciate the name I was given, but the truth is, I didn’t used to like it very much because it was such a hassle. Now that I have grown up, I have learned to love my name, and I believe everyone in the world should love their names too. Before I was born, my parents put a lot of time and effort into thinking of baby names that would be just right for me, so they kind of knew what they were doing when they named me. My name makes me who I am, it makes me unique. It also makes me stand out, in a good way. I just had to learn to realize and appreciate this special gift that I was given.

So whether a name be as normal as Amy and Joe, as different as Apple and Jermajesty, or somewhere in between, learned to love your name because it makes you, you.