Good Behind the Scenes

Mike - Palatine, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

I believe in finding the good in everything in one’s life. No matter what has happened to a person, no matter what adversity he or she has faced, something can be taken from it, improving as a human being in various aspects.

For example, my dad had quadruple bypass heart surgery nearly a year and a half ago, after finding out that the blockage was so bad, he only had about a year left to live before suffering a fatal heart attack. This was an awful few weeks for my family, with everything that could have gone wrong during and immediately following the surgery. Through it all, I was changed for the better as a person. I felt as a whole that I was tougher in a sense, and that I could more easily handle any stressful situations that could be thrown at me.

Almost like a phoenix, I felt reborn when assessing my core values. I was like the typical teenager, wanting less pressure on the parental front, and not necessarily getting along all the time with my sibling. After this point in my life though, I realized just how important my family was to me. I had a much stronger relationship with my sister, as we both needed each other during those tough times. I could also finally appreciate spending time with my parents, as it had finally hit me that they aren’t going to be around for the rest of my life.

Most importantly though, I was able to learn that life can be gone in an instant. Lessons like this are why I believe that good can and should be found in everything.

Beyond my personal example, children and teenagers who have to go through a parental divorce, have to try to learn things from their situation. Doing this even helps get through the pain one feels when put into a bad situation, or experiencing an awful event. A kid with divorced parents can think, well, at least I can learn to do more things on my own, as I’ll need to for the rest of my life.

Overall, good is in all things. Lessons can be learned from the strangest, most awful things that happen to people. No matter what one feels, he or she has to search and search, and continue to search, to be able to find these lessons of life in the situation he or she is stuck in. The good will be there. This I believe.