What is a Mother?

Rachel - Traverse City, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

What is a Mother?

What is a mother? By definition, the dictionary states that a mother is “a female parent” (dictionary). However, this definition comes no where near the true merit of a mother. Everyday mothers continuously mesmerize the world with their strength and compassion. Mothers are the epitome of love, compassion, and strength. I believe that the world, a lot of times, overlooks the true role that a mother holds, and I strongly think that mothers should be granted higher appreciation and gratification.

There are countless ways to describe a mother due to their immense differences. Mothers come in all shapes and sizes, colors, and qualities. All mothers share one thing in common, the gift of bringing children to this earth, and the role of rearing them. Every mother has her ways of accomplishing these deeds. No mother is the same, nor are they perfect. However, they come as close as they can to nearly angelic. I believe that mothers are God’s gift to mankind; they are his angels on earth.

The dictionary describes angels as “a person who performs a mission of God or acts as if sent by God” (dictionary). In a sense, mothers share this same mission. Mothers struggle through daily life attempting to raise their children to the best of their abilities. They are continuously striving to make the world a better place for the ones they love, and do so without complaining. Angels similarly, go through life aiming to please the Lord, and do his will. Both mothers and angels strive to succeed and do so without contempt. Both are natural care givers and guardians. The connection between the two, mother and angel, is impeccable. Sadly, however, both also seem to go unnoticed.

As the world whips by and days rapidly disappear, consideration for mothers tends to diminish and eventually vanish altogether. People tend to forget the true things in life and lose appreciation for the important things. Sadly, mothers very often fall into that dark pit of forgetfulness. Husbands forget romance and love, and children forget to say thank you and give hugs. Impeccably, mothers still remain strong and never dwindle in their efforts. Amongst all of this ingratitude a mother rarely shirks her duties or responsibility to the family.

I firmly believe that a mother is a true angel in disguise because of her pure strength of character and mind. A mother never abandons her family nor the life that she is called to live. In addition, a mother is the core foundation of the family. If her strength were to weaken, the foundation would crack, and the house, or family, would collapse and crumble. Without mothers, true love and kindness would not exist in the world, men would not learn to love, and children would lack a true mother’s love.

I firmly believe that all mothers should be given more appreciation and gratitude; for they have performed one of the greatest roles in life. They are the wives, mothers, aunts, and sisters to all of humanity and should be recognized for that. It should not take a holiday, such as Mother’s Day, for them to receive credit for all of their hard efforts. Out of love, gratitude and appreciation should be given everyday to the special women in our lives.