Ignorance

Alexander - Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

I believe that when man creates or associates himself with any type of religion it is because he does not want to try to understand human nature. I find that people believe in a religion because they are afraid of finding the meaning of live and that they need some type of super natural being or basic set of rules that govern their lives so that they don’t have to contemplate their life. They just leave the way their lives go to their superior being and that is all.

Over the last two years, my parents have forced me into being confirmed by the catholic church. Of course, I greatly disagree with their ideas so I would basically zone out for the entire time or I would figure out how I could make it really awkward for the teachers to continue teaching. Several months ago I was forced to go on a retreat that was basically in the mountains, in the middle of the woods. That was the ultimate way of driving a person crazy, when you send them outside of civilization with a bunch of people who try and force their ideas on you. The whole time I really tried to destroy the balance or ignore them completely. It was beside the point that most of the activities that we did were designed for toddlers, but I did very little for any of them and I made up a lot of stories. That night when we were sleeping I told the people in my bunk about how god is dead and that nothing matters because nothing is real. I really irked some people and some I got the wheels turning. The next day we had to write questions for the priest to answer when he came to the woods. I asked if God was real to see what he would say. That was a crucial point of the weekend and of my religious views. When he answered my question, instead of giving me a descent answer that was well thought out and really came from their beliefs, he basically told me what St. Thomas Aquinas wrote in his text, Summa Theologica. That was all he could come up with. There was no originality in telling me the 5 ways of gods existence and it really opened my eyes. It made me alter my beliefs, that religion is just an excuse for ignorance.