Believing In True Love

Alexandra - Newville, Pennsylvania
Themes: love

Believing In True Love

I believe in true love. I first established this belief as I watched the Disney Princesses find their Prince Charmings. But, as I have grown and only watch the princesses when I baby-sit, the basis for my belief in true love has been rooted in actual people.

Growing up family always came first to my parents. Every Sunday our family attended church and then a smorgasbord of food for an early dinner. After dinner all of my cousins and I would play either inside or out (depending on the weather) while the grown ups played cards inside. My family was all I could ever dream of: my Mimi (a woman who loved life and lived it to the fullest) and my Pappy (a man that adored her). To me everything was picture perfect; I was living in my own fairytale. In all fairy tale stories though, there seems to be a villain. My fairytales villain was death.

On March 16, 2003, Mimi died of cancer. She had been the glue in our family; the one who encouraged people and made everyone laugh. Her death had been expected, but to my Pappy, all he had ever lived for was gone.

After Mimi’s death our Sunday meals kept occurring as usual, but my grandpa lost the spark he once had in his aging eyes. My pappy tried to ease his mind with work and television as days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, following my grandmas death. Holidays were the worst for everyone, though, especially for my grandpa. But we pulled through, until Valentine’s Day.

Once again this villain of death would return to my fairy tale life. On February 12, 2004, Pappy decided to decorate the old farm house for Valentine’s Day. He performed this task by retrieving old Valentine’s Day cards from the attic. As he searched for the cards he discovered the card Mimi had given him the year before. When he found this it was as though his heart had broken in two and his world had ended. That cold February day my grandfather suffered a fatal heart attack holding the card from the love of his life.

Some call Pappy’s heart attack, while holding Mimi;s valentine’s Day card, just a coincidence. But I know that true love brought my Pappy and Mimi together again that snowy Valentine’s Day in 2004.

I believe in true love.