I believe that teens should have more rights than they are given

brenda - san diego, California

This I believe essay

I believe that teens should have more rights than they are given. I think that if teens had more freedom they would get a chance to learn from their mistakes and they could be ready for the real world. They could be more prepared for challenging things. I believe that teens should go out when they feel like it and have a chance to make their own decisions about their life.

As a teenager myself, I think that I should have more freedom about going out when I feel like it. Like for me, I have to have good grades and be at school on time. My mom thinks by not letting me go out I’m going to bring up my grades. But that really doesn’t work because since she doesn’t let me go out, I ditch school. It just makes everything worse, but I just have to go out because I am tired of being at home and at school and nowhere else. So that’s another reason why my grades are low because I won’t go to class. So if teens were to have more freedom and go out when they feel like it teens like me wouldn’t have to do stupid stuff like, ditching and lying to their parents by being at places that they’re not.

Another thing that I believe about teens is that we should have a chance to make our own decisions about our lives. Like I really don’t like cleaning and I don’t know how to cook, but my mom just likes having me clean the kitchen and the house, sometimes, and she tries to teach me how to cook when I really don’t want to learn. Another thing is that she wants me to have is good grades so I can go to college and be a doctor. But I would just like for my parents to back away for a little bit and to let me learn from my own mistakes especially since they’re going to be my own decisions and I really don’t want to learn from the mistakes my parents make me do. So if teens had a chance to make decisions about their life without people telling them what to do teens wouldn’t be that messed up in life.

In conclusion, those are my beliefs that teens should go out when they feel like it and have a chance to make decisions about their life. I know I could be wrong about teens needing more freedom and rights, but those are my beliefs because this is what my parents made me believe for always trying to make decisions for me and for trying to prevent me from doing stuff. So the only reason I’ve done so many bad things in my life is because my parents want me to be an angel when really I’m not. But if my beliefs were for real I probably wouldn’t be this messed up.