A Good Father

David - East Greenville, Pennsylvania
Themes: parenthood

I believe that I am a good father. I am not the best father, as I have plenty of faults, and have made my share of mistakes over the years, but I believe I am a good father. A good father does not need to be perfect, not even close; I believe a good father simply needs to be there for his children, whenever they need him. A good father needs to be strong yet flexible, willing to keep an open mind, and not be afraid to admit when he is wrong.

A good father meets the challenges of parenthood as they arise. I met my challenge when my marriage ended and I became a single father, and took on the responsibility of raising my daughter. It has been a hard road, and I have not done everything right; in fact I have done many things wrong, and there is a lot that I wish I could take back, but I cannot. What I have done is learn from those mistakes, and tried my best not to repeat them…more than once or twice.

A good father needs patience, and as a single father I have had to practice patience as I traveled with my daughter from being a toddler to becoming a teenager; from hours of making up stories with her toys, to confronting the temptation of drugs, and the influence of friends who mean well, but just do not know the dangers of what they are playing with.

A good father needs to sacrifice for his children. I had to defer many dreams in order to raise my daughter, and to be there for her as she grew up, and I do not regret any decision I made, as my dreams were not denied, they were merely changed. Now my dreams are of a good life for my daughter, and raising her to be the best person she can be. These are better than my immature dreams of personal fame and fortune, these dreams are real and attainable, and in the end, will make this world a better place.

A good father needs to know how to have fun, and not to take everything so seriously. I am learning this; my daughter is teaching me about fun and the joy of play. It takes a long time to learn, but is helpful in the face of the immense responsibilities I face every day.

Most of all I believe that a good father needs to show his children love and respect. Despite our faults and the fights that my daughter and I often have, I never fail to tell her, several times a day that I love her, especially when I am mad at her.

I believe I am a good father, although not a perfect one and that I have been fortunate beyond words to have been given the opportunity to guide my daughter as she has grown into an amazing young woman.