Russell - Middleville, Michigan

I have always been a big fan of the outdoors. Ever since I was young I have seen my grandpa and dad hunting. When I was younger, I never really liked the thought of killing an animal. I figured it hurt them badly and it made me sad. Well one day I decided to go hunting myself. Not for a deer, but for birds with a pellet gun. Needless to say, I was a pretty good shot. I got three or four birds and it started a hobby.

When I turned 15 my father and I went to Wyoming to hunt for mule deer. This is the first time I was able to hunt with a gun. After a week in the mountains, my view about hunting changed. I experienced the excitement that goes along with tracking an animal and taking it down. I was a hunter.

I believe that hunting is okay for management purposes only. Poachers are breaking the law and I do not believe that is right. When hunting, you should only use one shot. It is much more humane to take the animal without letting it suffer. This takes practice, but with a steady hand and a good scope you should be able to do it every time.

When hunting, I remember the time when I thought it wasn’t right to kill. Now, after the week trip to the mountains, I have grown to love the sport, and will continue to enjoy it the rest of my life.