Open the Box

Jeff - Middleville, Michigan

Open the box

“There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, “Yes, I’ve got dreams, of course I’ve got dreams.” Then they put the box away and bring it out once in awhile to look in it, and yep, they’re still there. These are great dreams, but they never even get out of the box. It takes an uncommon amount of guts to put your dreams on the line, to hold them up and say, “How good or how bad am I?” That’s where courage comes in.”

Erma Bombeck spoke these words, and I will no longer look in the box.

At some point we can all envy the naiveté of a child’s mind. In childhood everything this vast life has to offer leaves a sweet taste on the palette. The world is restricted to the interpretation of their eyes only. The question that burns in my brain is what happens to the little boy who says, “I want to be an astronaut, or a firefighter, or a policemen. No wait I want to race motorcycles.” Why is it that there comes a time when we push our dreams to the side? Is it the fear of failing? Our dreams should be the spark that wakes us every morning. Not embers of a once burning flame.

I believe the realization of a dream is nothing if it is not pursued. The child who once dreamed of being a rock star now sits in a cubicle. He realized his dream but he never found the courage to grab a hold of it and hang on. It is always great to have a support system and a source of inspiration, but at some time you need to be able to support yourself, and be your own source of motivation and inspiration. I am the middle child of three boys. In my efforts to differentiate from my brothers I tried various things, from feeling out different sports, instruments, and styles of clothes. The realization finally hit me that my dreams should be what define me. My dream is to leave the small town life and to build custom motorcycles in the big city. That is something that can never be taken from me. As long as I recognize when the time comes to make the leap from my sheltered life out into the world, my dream will never leave me behind. The courage to make that leap and to overcome the fear of failure is the only thing standing in my way. The hope is for success, but in the end, whether success or failure comes of my dreams, I will be able to say I am one of the few who rolled the dice, and showed all my cards.

Now it’s obvious that we can’t all be astronauts and Drag racers, but I believe at some point in my own and everyone’s lives we should all be able to look back and say one of two things; “Man, I had a great run, it just didn’t work in the end.” Or “ Wow I have wanted this since I was a child, and look how far I have come.” No matter what the dream. Whether you were the kid jumping on the bed rocking out to blaring music, or running around with a stethoscope around you’re neck saving fake victims. Only you can pursue your dreams, and only you can let your dreams escape.

“My theory has always been, that if we are to dream, the flatteries of hope are as cheap, and pleasanter, than the gloom of despair.”

–Thomas Jefferson