I believe everyone deserves a chance to fly.

Michelle - Middleville, Michigan

I believe everyone deserves a chance to fly. I’m talking figuratively, of course. Anything that an individual yearns for should be given a chance. Any small wish deserves to be given a chance to blossom. Every impossible dream in this world deserves the chance to be dreamed about. Most importantly, if a person wants to be anything at all in this world they should be given that chance, without mockery but with support and love from everyone around them. Many adults will just laugh at a child’s dreams; they may call them silly or comical or ridiculous, anything but taking the child seriously and giving them the hope that every child deserves for their open futures. I believe this young child deserves the chance to become whatever they choose, anything at all that they want.

When I was a young girl of about three years old I started taking a dance class. This was normal at my age then, yet now, I am 16 years old and I take dance seriously. But I still get that “Oh, all right, sure” mocking look whenever I announce my dream is to be a dancer, however unrealistic that dream may be. The people around me should give the support for my dream, no matter how impossible they think it is. And maybe, just because of this support, my dream could become more possible and clear, instead of drifting to the shadows.

One of my favorite musicals is Wicked. In the Defying Gravity scene, Elphaba sings “Everyone deserves the chance to fly”, she is talking about breaking free, following her dreams, and letting go of the stupid rules that society has made and pushed onto her. This character believes that everyone basically deserves the chance to be themselves without the limits of society and other people around them. Every individual should be given the chance to make the best of their lives, and to become what they want.

And hey, if some child wants to be a pilot and fly all over the world, I believe they deserve the chance to fly.