A World For Understanding

Jevne - Hopkins, Minnesota

A World For Understanding

The world is quite large to those who dwell in it, but in comparison to its size in the Universe, it is very small. I think of the world as a place for travel. It is a place to see things that are foreign to us. It is a place to get a full understanding of those who are different than us. I believe that the world was meant for people to travel, available for everyone to see. Seeing the world means that we see other people, people who are different from us. We understand how these foreign people live every day, comparing and contrasting their lives to ours. We learn through understanding, creating a world with less conflict.

I have been to many places across the country and across the world. Because of my travels, I have seen people in poverty in Mexico, and the simple luxuries of Great Britain. In Mexico, I saw people who worked every day just to earn a small amount of money for their large families. They don’t take anything for granted whatsoever. Of course they have anger towards those who do not understand why they live the way that they live, but they know that eventually we will understand after being in their country. In Great Britain I saw how a simple thing such as seeing one’s family or getting a raise or a promotion at a small business brings joy to people. I then understood how much the littlest things in life show for great results. The little, tiny details all add up to the big picture, the people in Great Britain knew that. After traveling Mexico and Great Britain, I understood the value of life a little bit more.

Traveling the world can show us how beautiful it is. For some reason, there is a thing called “The Seven Wonders of the World”. When I learned of these “Seven Wonders” in elementary school, I couldn’t believe that there were only seven places in the entire world filled with wonder. After learning about them, I began to look up pictures of exotic places like Jamaica and Africa on the internet. The pictures showed simple things like women with their children, flowers in someone’s garden, and the scenery from the places. Every picture I saw was beautiful. The world gives so many possibilities that it is impossible to narrow it down to seven. I decided that if I didn’t travel around the entire world before I die, then I hadn’t lived life the right way. After vowing this to myself, I thought of traveling my home state of Minnesota. All of the places that were worth the drive time were places I had already been to. So why start in Minnesota? Why not New York? California? Japan? Why start somewhere so small and so familiar, when the point of traveling is to see the world and learn something different?