what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger

Rachel - Freeport, Michigan
Themes: setbacks

I believe that “what doesn’t kill you in life only makes you stronger”. Sometimes life can have hard times but you always get through them and I think they can make you a better person in the end.

My Grandpa is 78 years old and he has been through a lot in his life. He has been through the Great Depression, one of America’s roughest times. He has outlived all of his three brothers, including one that was murdered. At five years old he witnessed his father’s death while he was hanging up a swing in the backyard for my Grandpa. He has had cancer twice and came out fine. All of his life he has been low on money but has always managed. At one time when he was child his family’s house burned to the ground and they lived on welfare and in a shack underneath a water tower. My Grandpa has had a very tough life but you wouldn’t know it if you met him. He never complains about anything. He is always smiling and he is so grateful for whatever he has. I think that all of what he has been through has helped make him who he is today; a strong, happy, loving man.

I think that there are many famous, successful strong people out there that have gone through a lot only to make them stronger. An example would be Oprah Winfrey. She grew up with abuse and no one believed in her. Just look at her now, she is very successful and a strong person. I think that part of what makes her who she became is the obstacles she has overcome.

In my life, so far, I have had it pretty easy and I am grateful for that. Something that I think has made me a stronger person is who I have surrounded myself with. When I was younger my friends, one in particular, weren’t the best people in the world. My best friend then was controlling, selfish and just plain old not nice. I think having her as a friend changed who I was. I now have good friends because I know what is and what isn’t a good friend. I think that makes me a stronger person.

Most everyone goes through some hard times. Some people don’t become stronger, but I believe that hard times will make you stronger if you let something positive come of it. That is why I believe that “what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger”.