Room to Grow

Stephanie - Shelbyville, Michigan

I believe in new shoes. I believe in growth, to understand the past and use it as a precedent. I believe in change from experience.

It all started with a pair of Spiderman light up sneakers, conveniently attached with Velcro straps. At age 3 just keeping the shoes on was a challenge. As time lengthened Velcro no longer satisfied me. My brothers lime green and orange shoe laces appealed greatly to me. My mom decided it was time for a trip to the store. I was getting my first pair of shoes with laces.

As your life proceeds you make mistakes and accidents happen. It is not about what happens to you it is about how you grow from it. It is about knowing that bad situations arise but being able to see that you can learn from them. As I age I acquire new privileges and responsibilities. A responsibility that I have to my track team is to always be there for them. My track and field spikes are officially my best friend for the better part of 4 months. I have grown up a lot in the fact that I run not only for myself but for others. It helps me to reflect and learn more about myself.

It took me a long time, and a lot of patience to master tying my shoe laces, but I had finally done it. As the years passed I realized I could handle much more than two bunny ears and a loop around the corner. And that’s how I graduated to my first pair of high heels.

When an event occurs in my life I am always changed. As I look back I recognize how much I learn from my life experiences. I will never be satisfied with the past. I will continue to grow; I will strut in my 4 inch heels because I can. This I believe.