I beieve in Washing Your Feet

Kiley - Orange Park, Florida

I Believe in Washing Your Feet

A smart teacher offered me this life lesson that had also been taught to him: always wash your feet. And when you meet someone you’re interested in, look at their feet too. If we can take care of the lowest part of our body than everything above it is worthy enough to be taken care of. Thus, if we can humble ourselves enough to clean our filthiest extremity, then we express ourselves as being honorable and deserving- as well as very clean.

To be honest, I hate feet. They’re the immediate contact point between the germ-infested ground and one’s cleaned body; making them prone to a host of bacterial infections and fungus. I hate the smell of feet. That revolting odor is so pungent that it alerts all the other senses into a stomach-turning shock. And most of all, I hate being touched by feet. Knowing not where they’ve traveled to-or in, causes my body to spazz in disgust at just the simplest “footy” touch. It is because of this loathing of such a filthy body part, that I must clean them. By washing away all the dirt I’ve walked on, I become so thankful for their existence. Not to mention it tells my fellow citizens that I’m a clean and approachable person. I don’t ever have stinky feet.

It seems just as important for my to notice another person’s exposed feet. It is said that the eyes are the window to the soul; well the feet are the mirror to one’s humility. I can easily determine whether or not my acquaintance is confident, sociable, and modest by the look of their toes. I don’t mean to imply the philosophy of weekly pedicures, however I will just blatantly state that they are the closest thing to heaven your poor feet will ever experience for twenty bucks- that goes for men too. But this philosophy of clean feet reflecting one’s unassuming nature was best demonstrated by Jesus Christ at the last supper when he knelt to wash each of his twelve disciples’ feet. He spoke these words as he scrubbed away the filth of the dirt roads from each foot, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean.” (John 13:10) Thus symbolizing that washing your feet reveals humility. Just when you think that you are perfect and clean-when you stand up tall with your nose up in the air and a pretentious smirk across your face, such is the time when you must bend down to the lowliest part on your body and scrub away the world that you’ve stomped on.

So next time you’re about ready go out and you know you’re looking good. You know that when you walk out the door the sun will shine a spotlight on your every move, remind yourself to look down at your feet and realize that even you must lower yourself to wash away the same ground that your neighbor has traveled on.