Life = Risk

Ashley - Middleville, Michigan

Have you ever done something and risked everything to achieve it? Have you ever put it all on the line in what seemed like a win – lose situation? If you have not, then you have never lived. To live is to take chances, to risk everything based on what you believe in.

I have a “pot hole” in my right ankle. The doctors told me that if I play any sports, I will shatter my ankle and never be able to walk again. The only way to fix the “pot hole” is to get a really big surgery and go through rehab. Without the surgery, I will not be able to walk by the time I am 40. There is only a 75% chance that this surgery will work, but for me, it is worth the risk. Life is a risk, without risk, life is played in a little field where you know how to stay safe. Yes, you may be staying safe, but you will never know what more you can achieve without pushing the limits. If I do not choose to get the surgery, I will never know what more I could have done in my life time, because I would end up in a wheel chair before my life even really got started.

Some people may look at the problem with a preconceived notion like “Hey I’m still young, forty is forever away, I will be old by then”, but in all truth forty is just the beginning of your life. I do not want to be forty and sitting in a wheelchair convincing myself that this how it is suppose to be. Because in all truth, that is not how I should end up. I should end up sitting there at fifty, sixty or maybe even eighty saying that I risked everything by getting that surgery and this is what was achieve by it, twenty more years added on to my life, maybe more, to take more chances and risks to achieve things in my life time.

To get this surgery I have to not only risk my ability to walk, but my love for sports in exchange for a chance to find something else I love to do. I have played soccer since I was in first grade, it makes up who I am. For me to get this surgery, I have to give up soccer along with the 3 other sports I play. It is one of the hardest things in the world to do, to give up something you love with all your heart and soul, for something that you have no clue about. I believe in doing this because there is something out there that I will get in exchange for risking everything I am.

Life is risk. You have to be able to put things on the line, to risk them, to achieve something greater that what you already have. For me, it would be getting a new ankle and finding a love for something else. The result of the risk may end up not being any better than what you started with. But at least you can look at it and say there was nothing more I could do, instead of humm, I wish I would have taken that risk and seen where it would of taken me.