A Legitimate Chance

Ashley - Middleburg, Florida

A subject that really gets me heated is the claim that certain breeds of dogs deemed “dangerous to society” should be prohibited to own. How absurd.

I believe that no dog deserves that kind of treatment, and that no family should have to live without such a wonderful addition to their home. I absolutely love animals, especially dogs. So much, in fact, that I’ve volunteered for three years at an animal shelter in St. Augustine and took care of dogs, as well as cats and other miscellaneous animals. I have trained dogs–all breeds!–and handled even the “big, bad” species of dog: pit bulls. Some were given to lovers as gifts; yet the lover was afraid and unable to cope with that fear, sending the poor dog to a shelter. Most, in their records, were rescued from unsafe environments.

If they were prohibited to own, they would be euthanized–murdered!–on the spot.

Of course some of them were nervous, antisocial, and defensive. Yet, I, along with others, worked with them. Trained them, socialized them, gave them a real chance in the world because they never got a proper first one.

Soon enough they were no longer frightening beasts, but lovable dogs needing a decent home.

No dog is born to be aggressive or anti-social, that is an effect of the owner being a poor parent. All dogs deserve a real chance in the world, and shouldn’t be stripped from society so violently. Dogs can be trained to be wonderful pets, even pit bulls and rottweilers, the breeds that are most feared by society.

Take my dog Lukas for example: he’s a rottweiler mix, and as sweet as can be. He’s never growled or been aggressive in any manner at all during his whole life. He’s brought smiles to so many people that I couldn’t even dream to number, and he’s brightened many days. If “dangerous” breeds were prohibited, none of the happiness would have ever occurred.

My step-mom had a pure bred pit bull named Bandit while she had two young daughters, and the dog couldn’t have been better in that family. The daughters played with him, and never once did he expressive aggressive behavior. Always a happy, lovable dog that wanted to be a part of the family. He kept those girls happy, gave them company when my step-mom was busy with house-work.

All dogs deserve a true, legitimate chance in the world, and an example of some poorly trained canines shouldn’t be the standard for a whole breed. Not only is it unfair, but it’s also very sad, seeing so many innocent animals suffer as a result of irresponsibility on the trainer’s part. Dogs are born to love, not to hate–they can only be taught to hate, when someone provides nothing but neglect and a hostile environment, or just doesn’t take the time to save a life.