Popularity is NOT for Me

Jacob - Freeport, Michigan

What do I believe? I believe that the world is one big popularity contest. Throughout our school career everyone wants to fit in with the popular kids. To us, school is about being wanted, or having as many “friends” as possible. Sometimes we will go to extreme lengths to fit in with the crowd. We go through each day wondering what other people think of us; wondering whether our hair or clothes are cool enough to be noticed. We constantly change our behavior and put on a fake personality so that we might be accepted. I believe we need to stay true to ourselves and not let society change us into something we are not.

After we come home from a long day of quiet torture, ready to relax, we turn on the television and get lost in the latest gossip on the celebrity world. We watch and marvel at what it would be like to be famous or have tons of money. We dream of being rich, having several homes, and being able to afford planes and the newest gadgets and gizmos on the market. Sometimes we get so lost in these dreams we fail to see the reality of being so popular. Why would we idolize the famous or popular when we see what happens to celebrities. Celebrities are troubled people and show it daily. From Brittany Spears to Lindsay Lohan, the stars of our generation are not to be admired. I just don’t see why we would idolize the monsters of our society, yearning to be like them.

When I see these celebrities, I feel sorrow and remorse. What would have happened if they did not grow up in such an environment as theirs? When I look at a celebrity I think of all the reasons why I would not want to be famous. This helps me stay true to my real personality. I believe that America should not conform to fit into society, rather society change to accept Americans. I am perfect the way I am and no one can change this. This is what I believe.