Sileem - Lewiston, New York

Throughout life, friends always seem to come and go, some move away, others just seem to grow distant from you. In my life, one of my friends moved away and I haven’t spoken to him since, and another friend who will soon move.

When I was twelve, I had a best friend, we did everything together, we played games, sports, we even talked politics. Later that year, he told me he was moving to Texas, I took the news hard and I was in a bit of denial. I began to see him less and less, and in the end, I couldn’t give him a proper goodbye. Almost four years later I received a letter from him in the mail inviting me to his graduation, along with a note explaining all of his accomplishments in high school.

A couple of months ago, I was told that one of my current best friends, was moving to Colorado. I took the news a little better this time. Over the past year, he and I have been through a lot together, primarily video games. We met two years ago in school, and have only been good friends since this year. We share and art class and a lunch period, and for the rest of the year, I intend to make the most of them, for him. Even after he leaves, I hope to still stay in contact with him, and to never forget him. Although we will live in different area codes, we will still talk to each other as though we are in the same room. What I believe is that even if a friend leaves you, you should never forget them, they’re still your friends, and still want to hear from you, distance should not affect a friendship.