Cynthia - Gainesville, Florida

In all honesty, the first time I heard about this assignment, The Cadets, a Drum and Bugle Corps, 2007 show “This I Believe” came to mind. Needless to say, in the next few moments pieces of trumpet runs and snare licks combined with melodics and the voices of veterans conquered my previous thoughts. Such a show combines harmony and tones that have the ability to tell a story that’s capable of connecting with the audience on an emotional level. This marching show was performed the past summer, and their performance created my own beliefs between music and my emotions. While The Cadets’ show expressed a divine belief in passion, community, and progress; I believe music is an expression of one’s life.

Music can be used as an escape from my ordinary life. A time to leave the different lives at home, work, or school. My escape route includes playing trumpet on a grassy field under bright lights. Driving through rhythms while running across yard lines hide me within an entire ensemble that produces such great a sound, all words are lost. My breakaway includes playing until my lips burn and a smile creeping onto my face as I listen to the roar of the crowd at our finale. This roaring crowd combined with wailing notes above the staff creates a tradition that can be expressed as the soundtrack of my life.

Music has the ability to connect to others through marching, concert, or jazz compositions; or even rap, country, and rock styles. In any genre, the chords and progressions combine to bring thoughts of the past, present and future to mind; which can leave a lasting impression. It doesn’t have to be through an instrument that music can be experienced. By a freestyle rap at a local club or a soft ballad at a bar, music can be expressed through lyrics, genres, and style. In any method, music creates an unborn legacy. Everyone has the opportunity to nurture a legacy in music, but those who can withstand the pressures and obstacles can allow it to reach its highest height.

While it is one, simple five-letter word, music has a much larger impact on history and life itself. Creating traditions and beginning new ones, across the world music can be expressed through compositions and directors, or the emotions complied when the local band performs a sold out show. I believe that while music plays a major role in my life, I am able to express it to others through my trumpet and composition. My belief can leave others speechless, while at the same time full of wonder. I believe that music is a part of me, and without it I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. Friedrich Nietzsche once claimed that a life without music is not worth living. I believe in music’s way of expression through chords, rhythms, emotions, and smiles when it’s all done.