Kara - State College, Pennsylvania

I guess you could say I believe in many things, but I believe most in the power of my family. The way my parents have raised me is what makes me the kid I am now. My relationship with my mom and dad is important and will decide what kind of an adult I will be.

My mom and I are very close. She always seems to know when something is bothering me even when I tell her nothing is wrong. She has a way of getting me to talk about my feelings and problems. She never makes fun of how I think or feel and I can say anything to her. She reminds me what I say stays between us. My mom is my drill sergeant because she is always asking me if I brushed my teeth, combed my hair and if I remembered to put the “anti-stink” (my Dad’s word for deodorant) on. My mom says to be forgiving, but tells me there are times when you need to walk away. She taught me to never judge because “you never know what someone has been through”. She constantly reminds me to be careful how I treat other people. Her favorite saying is “karma – what comes around goes around”. My mom doesn’t want to hear me say “I can’t”. She says “if you work hard enough you will reach your goals”. Before I get on the bus every morning, my mom tells me to “make good choices”. She is turning me into a nice person who cares for others, has good values and can be a good friend to everyone.

My dad and I have a close relationship too. I’ve always been “Daddy’s little girl” but he’s not afraid to tell me when “enough is enough”. He’s usually the strong, silent type unless you make him angry, then you’ll hear about it. My dad has taught me to have respect for authority. I’ve learned the difference between a Phillips head screwdriver and a flat head screwdriver. He’s taken me geocaching and to dirt track races. My Dad always has a hug and kiss for me. He isn’t afraid to say “I love you” over and over. He’s smart and knows a little about everything, but he’s not afraid to admit when he’s clueless. My dad is teaching me to be well rounded and open minded.

My mom and dad have each given me a part of the way they think and feel. I’ve got my dad’s easy going personality with my mom’s stubborn side. They are teaching me how to be a good person, how to stand up for what I think is right and how to be my own person. I believe that everyone’s parents make them into who they are. The power of my family is what makes me who I am.