This Life Influences the Next Life

Floyd - Florida

I believe that there are phases of our life that can be classified as different lives. I do not believe that these are independent of one another, but rather influence the next life. In my personal experience I believe that I am existing in my third life or my third phase of life. I chose to separate them into three parts: Childhood, Military Life, and Civilian Life. Through the experiences that all three have given me, I have had the pleasure of being able to learn a little bit more about myself.

Starting off in my childhood, I was born and raised in a military household. Which, in itself, I believe is quite different from growing up in a civilian household for a number of different reasons. I was able to travel outside of the USA and given the ability to lose myself in a new culture. In having this experience I was able to gain a better understanding of the importance of connecting with people on more than the surface level. Within different cultures I found, that what appeared to me to be, different faces or windows into the human soul.

Next, I move on to what I consider my Military Life. During this phase the things that I believed I knew were tested. In joining an organization that has become a true tossed salad, meaning all individuals working together as one, I was able to experience yet another phase. In this phase it seemed both young and old were constantly struggling to find both meaning and justification to life. There were daily stressors and limit pushers that constantly helped shape, define, and redefine who I thought I was.

I have now moved into the third phase of my life; one in which I have self-titled Civilian Life. This phase by far this has been the most confusing and yet at sometimes the most rewarding part of my life. The machine I find myself in today is constantly pushing the envelope on individualism. In attempting to deal with this form of individualism, which seems more self-centered or selfish if you will, I still pull from the experiences gained in both my childhood and my time within the military..

In short I believe that life as we know it does not exist in one continuous phase, but rather is broken up into different parts. These parts are broken up into different parts depending on an individual’s life. Each part may have a clear division line or bleed over into another area of life, but contributes in some degree to the overall person I am today. My name is Floyd Sturdifen and this is what I believe.