Use the Talents you are Blessed With

Jennifer - Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

Thomas Jefferson once stated, “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” Throughout my entire high school career, I have always strived for excellence. Not once did I ever slack off and neglect my school assignments. I always tried to learn every bit of the material presented to me by my teachers. Every so often, a group of my peers decided to make fun of me by calling me a “bookworm.” They said that I had no life other than my school work. Some of them even complained saying that the only reason I did well in school was because I was naturally “smart,” and that they themselves had little chance competing on the academic scale. Over the course of a few months, I learned that a few of the kids that were picking on me were, in actuality, part of my high school’s enrichment program (a special program for children with naturally high IQs). Within time, I realized that many of these “gifted” teens were lazy and wasted their natural talents. They had the world at their feet, but for some reason could not take the first step to achieving their destination in life. Whether it was due to apathy, a lack of motivation, or a fear of failure these kids pointed fingers at me and attempted to bring me down in order to make themselves feel superior. They took the so called “easy way out.” Instead of amounting to something and giving back to their community, they decided to rip it apart with criticism. Though these peers of mine were naturally talented and blessed with a high IQs, they wasted God’s gifts by slacking off and abusing mentally-deteriorating substances. Their poor attitudes hindered their success.