Jasmine - Lemon Grove, California

I believe that I am the future and that my children and grandchildren are the same. I believe that one day we will come together as a nation and get along. I believe that one day my skin will be seen as a jacket and what really matters is going to be in the inside. People will not look at me different because of where I am from or what skin color I am. But instead they will look at me and want to know more about me.

While riding the trolley one day home from school I noticed a homeless man sitting in a seat with no one around him. He smelled, and looked very old and scary but how do you except someone to look when living on the streets? He was of no harm to me or anyone around him. A group of teenagers got on the trolley and noticed him also, but reacted in a different way. The group began laughing at him, pointing fingers and calling him names. The old homeless man tried to turn his head and glance out of the window acting as if he didn’t see nor hear them. As I looked at the dirty homeless man tears grew ready to fall from my eyes.

Is this how our future is going to be? Did we not learn anything from our history? In the future are we going to still judge people by how they look and by how we look and how much money each other has? Or are we going to learn from our past and do the opposite?

I believe that I am the future and my children and grandchildren are the same. So if this is true our future will be nothing like this. We will learn from our history and never repeat it. Everyone will be judged by what’s under their skin coated jacket.

As I sat near the old homeless man I realized that I am just as bad as the kids taunting him. I sat back and allowed them to do such a thing I might as well have been doing the same. They are not bad kids there are not trouble makers they just simply don’t know any better. But I, The future will teach them. I will teach them to not prejudge someone I will teach them to accept people that do not look the same as them. I will teach them to teach the same to their children and grandchildren. I will start with the young children fresh into grade school so when we see someone different from us we accept them instead of judge them, because our appearance is like a jacket covering what’s on the inside. I am the future because I can teach the future not to make the same mistakes as we did in the past.