The Invisible Solutions

Janae - San Diego, California
Themes: children

I believe that no child should have to suffer for an education or proper nutrition, no matter what the circumstances may be.

The day that I began to really put my heart out for children in need, was when I watched the documentary called Invisible Children. The documentary was about children who were forced to be in wars and who had to live through the harsh conditions of poor Southern Uganda. It was so sad to see helpless children fighting for so many things that we take for granted. Simple things like food, a place to stay, school, and even just a stable family.

As I was watching the documentary, there were so many emotions and feelings going through my body and mind. I felt sad, hurt, shocked, and grateful for the life that I was able to live. The most hurtful thing about the documentary to me was when one of the children said that they would rather die, than to endure the pain of living in Uganda everyday. What made the situation even worse was the fact that his younger brother, who was only seven years old, died two days after being forced to fight in the war. His brother was the only person he had after the rest of his family died of starvation.

I believe that most homeless and struggling children around the world truly are invisible. Because when we as children go to school and play around, throw away food that we don’t want, get mad at our parents, or throw away old clothes, we don’t ever realize that we are doing things that a lot of children would die to be able to do. Some of us go around thinking that our lives are so bad not knowing that there are lives a lot worse than ours. When a part of the country catches on fire, or gets covered in water, it’s all over the news, everyone knows about it, and people try to find ways to help out. But when children are sleeping in alleys, starving, being forced to be in wars, and not getting an education, no one seems to notice it. Why? Because everyone is so focused on their lives and the little picture, that no one ever takes time out to think about the lives of children, and the bigger picture.

In closing, I believe that all children are our future. It is our job to bridge the gap between those who appreciate education, those who don’t, and those who just can’t receive or afford an education. All children are equal no matter what race, sex, or religion they are. Life is not that long, so we all need to come together in unity, and reach the star of success. This…. is what I believe.