I Believe in Jumping and Being Caught

Sonia - San Diego, California

I Believe in Jumping and Being Caught

“If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn’t follow. I’d be at the bottom to catch them when they fall.” That’s what I hope someone in my life would be there to do for me. I believe in someone always being there for you. Someone I can talk to, ask for favors, not laugh at me, and be able to understand me.

I woke up to the sound of my parents yelling and my aunt standing by my bed. I pretended to stay asleep, but yearned to hide under the covers. But, as expected, I didn’t move. I finally woke up, unwillingly, and shuffled around my room picking up and spacing things on my desk to distract myself, and make my aunt think I was fine. Eventually, my aunt walked up to me and told me everything would be okay, while I silently tried not to cry, the lump in my throat rising, and my eyes stinging. I didn’t want to hear anymore of the comforting words, so I got up from her lap, and went to my dresser. I started folding clothes, while the yelling continued. I knew something bad was going to come out of it, but didn’t know what because I was so young. After the yelling subsided, I went outside, and was approached with the question of whom I wanted to go to work with. I chose my mother. After that morning, things were never the same. My mom told me that they were going to “take a break”. But, soon after, I realized that meant a permanent break. My sister and I went with my dad on weekends, and spent weekdays with my mom. But, the good thing was that I knew I had someone there even though my mom’s side and my dad’s sides of the family weren’t talking to each other.

My friends, whom many have gone through this, told me that everything would work out. They also told me that it would get better, and I’d get used to seeing my parents separately. Although this was not taking a big chance for me directly, I took a big chance to accept and get over it. In the future, this belief will help me take chances that might help me towards success. My past experiences have brought me to believe this. I’ve come to believe that if I’m going to take a risk but am scared of falling apart, then I shouldn’t throw away the opportunity, and just have a safety net. If I’m feeling alone, I just think of that one person that I trust and feel comfortable with, and then I know that I can take risks, and trust someone to be there for me if I fall. When that big change happened in my life, I realized that whether I lose a friend or gain one, I’ll always have that one friend I gained and never lost.