Katelyn - LANCASTER, Pennsylvania

I believe in hard work and perseverance. I believe anyone can achieve their goals if they are willing to work for what they want and if they have patience. Ever since I was a little girl, I had the dream of owning my very own horse. I have had a passion for horses and riding as long as I can remember. The theory behind this is that this passion grew from the neighborhood walks my mom would take me on as a young child. We would always stop and visit my neighbor’s horses and give them treats. My mom had no idea what she was getting into.

I literally saved every penny I received so I could by a horse. I had a jar in my room filled with money from birthdays and other occasions. I would never spend any of it in hopes that one day I would have enough for a horse. My dad would always joke with me saying, “I think you have just enough money to buy the tail,” but I was determined to buy the whole horse.

My parents later got me riding lessons once a week, but still believed that I would grow out of this “phase.” They were wrong.

I got a job at the Village Greens Mini Golf Course near my home and began to earn more money to put toward my endeavor. I began saving all of that money too, still hoping and waiting for my horse. I had to prove to my parents that I could earn enough money to continue to support my horse once I got it. Horses are very expensive, but I was up to the challenge.

My parents tried to change my mind by saying, “You won’t be able to afford a car,” but I didn’t care. I just told them I would ride the bus to school.

When I was sixteen years old, I finally had enough money and had convinced my parents that I was responsible enough to have a horse of my own. I began looking and found a beautiful, chestnut mare, who stole my heart. I took her home immediately and I had never been happier.

Currently, I have had Shai, my horse, for three years and I still believe buying a horse was the best decision I have ever made. I found something I wanted and I worked hard to achieve it. It might have taken awhile, but I had patience. I believe that if someone truly wants something and has the drive, they can accomplish anything. Just set goals and don’t let anyone or anything stand in your way to reaching them. If your desire is great, then you can make your dreams happen. All you have to do is believe.