Believe In Yourself

Aimee - Palm Desert, California

Have you ever questioned yourself? Have you ever felt as if you were not good enough? I’m sure there are many people who can relate to those questions and I, am one of them. I am a senior in a high school full of rich, good looking, smart, people and me… well I’m an average girl trying to find herself in this big world. I don’t have blonde hair and blue eyes, I’m not rich, but I am intelligent . What separates me from the rest? The fact that I believe in myself.

I look around at my surroundings everyday. I see girls who second guess themselves, I see girls that try so hard to fit in with the “in crowd”, I see the boys who try to act tough but really, who are they fooling? They are fooling themselves. At what point in time is it ok to be who you are? After high school? After college? Only when your around certain people? The answer is always. You are taught when your young to love others for who they are. So why is it that anyone feels the need to change? Maybe its because life seems easier when your acting like someone your not. Or its because we have drilled into our minds that being unique is not something that is accepted by fellow students. Well let me tell you, if you can’t believe in yourself, then who can truly believe in you? You can have all the friends in the world, but if you cant be you then are these people really your friends?

When I was in eighth grade I remember wearing black pants, black shirts, black eye shadow and having black hair. When I entered high school my looks started to change. I started wearing skirts and colorful shirts, I would straighten my hair and leave it down. But why? Its because I didn’t feel like I could be my own person. I got sucked into the world of the “Oh my goshes” and the “Shut ups!”. This wasn’t me. For the rest of my freshman, sophomore and junior year I was stuck in this person that I had invented.

I live my life with no regrets, and if you ask me to this day if I regret the way I acted before, I would look you in the eyes and say no. The way I was helped me figure out that I never want to be that again. It was hard, and to this day it is hard. You will lose good friends, but you will befriend someone you never liked, you will question yourself but then you will realize that you are who you are and that’s all that has ever mattered.

On the journey that we call life, people will change, times will get tough but you should always believe in yourself. In the end you are the only person you got. Don’t be afraid to stand up and make a statement, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and don’t let anyone hold you back. Its so easy to get lost in this world so never let anyone or anything tell you how you should act, or what you should do. I am a firm believer in the fact that anyone and everyone can believe in themselves.