Jordan - Traverse City, Michigan
Themes: respect

The foundation of my beliefs is the virtue of respect. The concept of respecting other individuals covers all aspects of life. Reverence addresses the protection necessary at the beginning of human life, loving those around you in daily life, and sheltering the elderly. It may be a generic term, but therein lies its strength and its usefulness in daily life. Living a life of respect will provide equality for everyone. However, righteousness is only found by living a consistently moral life.

In my own life I strive to keep a constant state of decency. This is rather difficult at times when your group of friends decides to mock someone. It is easy to give into the temptation and join them. Thanks to Aretha Franklin, anyone can spell respect or even belt out a few lines when feeling courageous around a karaoke machine. However, it takes an honorable person to stand up for what they believe and show respect to others. I truly admire the courage of some individuals, able to love others generously. It is not easy to show kindness when the other person’s situation, whether it be financial, social standing, etc, prohibits them from rewarding your good deed.

I often look toward my father as an incredible role model of how I want to live. He is able to say whatever necessary to defuse tense situations. This generally takes the form of an apology, making it look so easy. It is a simple way to show someone your respect and love, yet I am too conceited to ask for forgiveness. We all have various paths of life, but do they all support what we believe in? Do they set the standards for our lives? All my life, I have strived to make sure that my actions support what I believe in. I sometimes feel good about my moral decision, but it is generally a negative outlook. I know the things I must do and yet I rarely carry them out.