Music is the foundation of emotion

Bradly - Traverse City, Michigan

Ever since my ears have functioned, I have loved music. Whether it is from the hair metal collection of my fathers, the country of my grandmother’s, or the soft rock of my mother’s. My parents have often told me that I listened to Poison and Skid Row (Still two of my favorite bands of all time) and would kick in the womb. My favorite show as a child was American Idol and recently Rock the Cradle. I have attended many rock concerts in my short life and cannot even describe the way they make me feel. A concert is just something that has to be experienced firsthand to fully grasp the feeling.

I will never forget my first concert. It was awkward to hear the same music that I had sang along to my entire life being performed right in front of me. It was a little awkward at first to look around and see that all of these other people listened to the same music I do. At eight years old I was in awe. I was small enough to squeeze my way into the front row to get a closer look, as I was still in disbelief. Soon after, I was pulled onstage by the lead guitarist and he helped me play his guitar through the solo. He then gave me his pick and I attempted to sit back down but I could not help myself. The music had taken over me. I was standing, head bobbing and vocal chords blasting, front row to my favorite band. By far the greatest feeling in the world.

Continuing my obsession for music, I began to explore the many varieties and even attempting to write my own. It is at this point I realized just how personal music is. The lyrics are poetry and straight out of the lives of other people. And still, there is a song to fit my any mood and lyrics that I would swear were taken right out of my journal. Music is expressive and often brings out emotions in me that I do not even know I have. Like the first time I heard death metal. I could feel the anger and aggression tunneling from his voice into my veins. Or the pain in the power ballads reminiscent of “Every Rose has it’s Thorn,” or “Livin’ on a Prayer.”

It is now that I have realized just how important music is to everyday life. Many people would not wake up in the morning without music, many sing along moments with friends and family would not be possible. Many movies would not be the same without the soundtrack and church would definitely not be the same. My main hobby would not even exist. That is a scary thought.

It is with this information that I resolve to this belief: music is the foundation of emotion. It is a pastime, a hobby, and a passion. The sounds that can tickle eardrums and soothe the soul. Yes, music is the outlet for all our feelings and the treasure chest of all things sentiment. Music is like the chameleon in that it changes to fit anyone and can mold to fit any environment. It is the cornerstone of the building of most individuals and a driving force in my life.