Remember Where You Came From

Tarvin - Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: family, gratitude

Why do our parents do so much for us? Why do they care, why do they sacrifice? These are some questions I have asked myself.

As a child, my parents went out of their way to do so many things for me. I said thank you, but never really meant it. As a teenager, they did the same thing, and I never took the time to show how I appreciated them and all they have done for me.

When I was in college, I worked in a nursing home doing almost everything from housekeeping to assisting the residents. I would walk passed the rooms and see them sitting there in their chairs watching television wondering what they were thinking. One day I walked into a resident’s room while her family was there celebrating her birthday. The way she was smiling and looking around changed my view on things. She seemed so happy to have her children their and having them clean up her room and bring her some of her favorite things that she normally does not get in the nursing home. I stood across the hall watching them that way they would not see me. I don’t know if I was shocked to see that her being so old could still have fun or is I was truly starting to think about the time my parents have taken out of their schedules and the things they have done for me by seeing her children there with her in the middle of the day, during the week. They had to have had jobs, they had kids of their own, so I know their schedules have to be jam-packed. But they still made time to come see their mother on her ninety-ninth birthday.

That was when I was in college the first time around. My actions changed towards my parents, but of course, they never lasted long. Now I’m almost twenty-two and have spent the last four years of my life working full time and attending college. My parents have been so gracious to let me live at home and not pay rent. They have helped me when I needed it. Given me money when I was short for a school payment. It made me realize that I’m not giving my parents the thanks and respect that they deserve. Kids now a days do not care or show appreciation for what their parents do for them. They do so much for us that way when they are older and can not help themselves, it is our turn to help them and care for them. We need to remember where we came from and who has been there for us our whole lives. Its our parents. Do not let the years go by with out saying thank you for all they have done. When the time comes for you to take care of them, that is when you really need to remember where you came from.