Love Can be Such a Powerful Thing

Karly - Knoxville, Tennessee
Themes: love

Love can be shown in many different ways. Even if you are feeling down, or you have just had a bad day, you can be encouraged if you know that someone loves you. Whether love is shown through a family member, a friend, or a boy or girlfriend you can always know they love. A little love in your day can make your whole life better. This is why I believe in a little thing called love.

I never knew love could be such a powerful thing. As my grandmother, or Nana, was going through cancer, love was all she needed to get through. When my family first found out that she was diagnosed with cancer we did not know what to think. We were all very confused about how this could have happened to a healthy and wonderful woman. As she began her kemo treatment, she began to loose her hair, which made this process even more difficult, but through the love shown she pulled through. Even though there were difficult times, love was always shown to one another by all family members.

This time for my Nana and my family was probably one of the toughest times of our lives. We just had to show how much we loved each other and we made it through with smiling faces. Through the cookies that were given by loving families and the hugs and kisses given by family members, my Nana made it through her cancer. As the slow process of healing began, my Nana’s hair grew back and her cancer slowly began to fade.

All though this tough and lengthy process love was shown toward my Nana each and every day. Everyone was overjoyed to hear the news that the cancer was gone. Now when I look at my Nana, I not only see her as a wonderful grandmother, but as a miracle who survived cancer with the love and care that she was given. She had survived two years of cancer.

My Nana went three years cancer free, but one day we learned that the cancer had returned. This day was a shock to everyone. I told myself, “All she needs is love and encouragement from her loved ones.” There has not been a moment during this struggle when I have doubted my nana and Grandpa’s strength, because I know that they have people that love them and that they have so much love for each other. My Nana is still struggling with her cancer today and she is still on kemo treatment, but everyday love is shown to her in some shape or form. I know that the love she is given is what will help her survive cancer a second time. This is why I believe in a little word that is spelled L-O-V-E…love.