Diversity in Our Schools

Hannah - Hastings, Michigan
Themes: community

Diversity in schools was at one point in history non-existent. After the civil war things started to change. Integration was impressed on schools, businesses and transportation. Today diversity in schools is normal and is increasing even more. City schools have many different ethnicities such as Hispanics, African-Americans, Japanese, Asians, Anglo-Saxon and many others. Rural schools though do not have as much diversity.

In my school, most of the students are Anglo-Saxon. A few such as myself are Asian. You could count on one hand how many African-Americans we have. Most of the students who help diversification in the school are the foreign exchange students. At my old school, there where people from all over the world. My friend Denisa was from Bosnia. There were four Bosnian families in our neighbor hood alone. Many of my friends were from Asia and many of my sister’s friends were from China and Japan. About a fourth of my sister’s kindergarten class was from Japan or China. In my new school, I feel really awkward being one of the few non Anglo-Saxons.

The more diversification there is in schools, the more welcome new students feel. Diversification allows more ethnicities to join together in peace and for more people to feel like they belong. I’ve always liked the ride “It’s a Small World After All” at Disney Land because of all the different cultures that you get to see. The ride reminds me of what it was like at my old school, diversified. Without diversification, I think that people don’t know how to react to people who are different from them. They don’t know how to respond to Spanish, Chinese, German or Danish speaking people. Diversification allows one to try new things like food and clothing. If it were not for diversification, America would not be America.

America is made up of immigrants from many different countries. If we don’t teach children to treat people of different backgrounds how we want to be treated, then how are they going to survive after they are living out on their own? They won’t know how to deal with different people. In order to prepare them for this, we need to continue to diversify our schools, urban and rural. This I believe.